Thursday, April 1, 2021

Epoxy Resin

On Tuesday I got to visit a friend to make some little things out of epoxy resin. It was quite exciting, as I have been meaning to try out that medium for a while now. While it was in no way easy to work with, it was definitely a ton of fun, and something I'd love to do again sometime. 

Mixing epoxy resin is hard work

We started out by mixing epoxy resin with hardener in a 1:1 ratio. Since epoxy resin can be very irritating on skin, we had to be very careful and used a plastic cup and little wooden sticks, which we could throw away later, to blend the two. The consistence was rather weird, it was incredibly thick and reminded me a little of honey. 

One had to be very slow and careful when stirring it, as not to accidentally make little air bubbles. This quickly became really tedious, and was easily the most boring part of the whole process. Just stirring it at an agonizingly slow place and still seeing little air bubbles appear was really frustrating. 

When the mixture turned a little white, we knew that we were done with the first step and could finally move on to the next one: pouring the resin into silicone molds. My friend chose to make an ashtray and two flower pots, I went for some little charms, out of which I'll make necklaces later.

There are a lot of options of what one can put in epoxy resin - glitter, acrylic paint, sand etc... I brought some dried flower petals that I had collected over the years, and my friend had some seashells that she had gathered at different beaches, so this is what we went with for this session.


Dried flowers...


... and lots of little sea shells!

Pouring the resin into the molds was probably the most challenging, but also the most fun part of this project. It was here that one could really get creative and come up with some fun designs.

For the smaller molds, we used little pipettes to drop the resin in layer for layer, putting the flowers in between. For the bigger projects however, it was a lot more handy to put the flowers and shells in first and then pouring the resin in directly. 




This is what we came up with in the end, the ashtray and flower pots my friend made on the left and my charms in the right. I'm really happy with how they turned out and I can't wait to see the end results. These will now have to dry for about a week, so I'll post an update then!


- Tournesol 🌻

No comments:

Post a Comment